Friday, November 30, 2012

Marceline and the Scream Queens rekindles my love for the comic book medium.

Adventure Time is probably one of the best cartoons currently running. It is cute, offbeat, and super funny. And its a runaway success for Cartoon Network. It is a merchandizing juggernaut and comic books feature a big part in this cash cow.

I read comic books up until high school. All punks are nerds. We may lie about it but no one seeks out an alternative if they are doing pretty well in the mainstream. Comic books fell off my radar as I ran around being punk. Sort of. Because I devoted a good amount of time reading punk rock comics like Ben Snakepit Snakepit and Mitch Clem's Nothing Nice To Say and Liz Prince's autobiographical comic.

One of the coolest characters in a show dominated by cool characters is Marceline the Vampire Queen. She is a vampire that is not all whiny and mopey and teenaged-angsty like those sparkly vampires. And she plays a battle-ax bass. And she's waaaayyyy cooler than Princess Bubblegum. And that's not just my opinion. She's awesome enough to get her own comic book series.



The TV show uses a bunch of indie comic book artists and the comic books are no different. The Marceline series is written and drawn by Meredith Gran of Octopus Pie. But what alerted me to this series was that Liz Prince did the back up story in issue 3!

Hugs to anyone who noticed that both the backup story and Liz's own comic are Minor Threat references.


I had to get it for my Liz Prince collection. It would be wasteful to not read the main story, so I did and I was hooked. I'm still missing issue one but otherwise. I have all the available issues. And now I have to go back and get the Adventure Time comics as well. Its just like being a kid again, having to collect all the one-offs and team-ups and cross-overs. Only my allowance is bigger now.

If you love the Adventure Time, you definitely need to get the Marceline and the Scream Queens limited run. Its call all the perks of the tv show in a convenient handheld carrying case. Plus comic books don't fill up your dvr. And if that doesn't convince you, I present to you the single greatest panel ever. Featuring a line so perfect, I'm stealing it.



No comments:

Post a Comment