Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Koalas

My love for koalas started pretty benign. I was bored at work and they are easy to doodle.



I started drawing them in race cars and playing tennis and giving them to all my coworkers. One year, I made everyone Koala Valentines.

My punk rock fanzine needed a new name. For a while, my zine was called Hobo Koala.


That inspired the name of my production company, The Hobo Koala Media Empire. The cute little hobo koala was my profile picture for the Empire's Google+ page until I put my beautiful face up instead.


Koalas were the mascot of my tattoo fanzine, Tattoos I have Met and Loved. This is from the inside front cover above the credits.


I formed a Twitter for the tattoo fanzine, tweeting for a while under the @Tattoo_Koala. But when I stopped the zine, I stopped the Twitter. 

I really started getting into Twitter with my account from my show, @mattmanic. There is a Twitter joke format called the Spirit Animal (or Petronus for the more Harry Potter-inclined). My entry was, "My Spirit Animal is the koala, because I sleep 19 hours a day and girls want to cuddle me."

That was not my only koala reference in my tweets. I would frequently use them to emphasize my huggability or when begging my Australian followers to mail me one.  

I love koalas. And I flipped out yesterday when this followed me:






No comments:

Post a Comment